[AccessD] EMail recommendations

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Mon Feb 15 11:14:47 CST 2010

Hi Tony

Yes.
Now, you don't tell what your application is and what mail volume to expect, but one option we have used was to provide the name of one of our SMTP servers (users were sending mail to us only anyway) as the default (or only) option, and then use authentication which could be fixed in code when your server is used.

You don't have an SMTP server? Well, you probably have, as all versions of Windows Server features an SMTP service which is piece of cake to "wake up" and configure. Resource consumption of this is very low and can - if you prefer a separate box - run on some outdated but reliable hardware. NT4 runs in 64 MB ram.

Jim is correct that CDO replaced CDONTS of NT4 - you probably don't have such users. If you have such or Win9x(!) users you should/must provide your own control or DLL.

As for the protocols, the only one in use for sending mail is SMTP which happens to be the simplest, in fact S stands for Simple. POP3 and IMAP are for retrieving mail.

/gustav

>>> iggy at nanaimo.ark.com 15-02-2010 17:47 >>>
Hey Gustav
I have to admit I am a bit of a ditz when it comes to understanding all
about Email protocols. In your example would the user (me included) need
to know their STMP server ID?