[AccessD] EMail recommendations

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Wed Feb 17 14:05:09 CST 2010

There's been a lot of response, on this thread, I'm just going to
through in my two cents.

I used to use persist's ASPEmail.  Very simple SMTP based email .dll.
Began running into a few problems with that, because SMTP is a security
hole if left open to the outside.  In a corporate environment, any
network admin worth his salt is going to limit the SMTP port to the
corporate mail server, and disable SMTP routing.  Which means, you need
to use an authenticated account, using a enabled system to send email
with.

So in my later projects, I began using a very simple method....Outlook.
I also took another approach.  I really don't have anything where I need
a truly automated email to be sent.  The email is due to an action a
user does, to alert someone else, or to send something.  So what I do,
is open an email item, attach whatever, fill in the To, Subject, and
create the expected email body, but I don't send it.  Outlook balks at
this.  And even though there are utilities out there to get around this,
I just let the user hit send.  This lets them check, or modify the email
before it is sent, and only adds one additional click for the user.
Now, if 500 emails need to go out for an action, this approach would
certainly not be workable.

Drew