[AccessD] RemoteEatBloat

Max Wanadoo max.wanadoo at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 02:20:27 CST 2010

Certainly Shamil,

No problems. I will be shortly  putting the finishing touches to it and you
can have a copy to play with.

There are two main differences between EatBloat and RemoteEatBloat:-

1. EatBloat
a. Allows individual selection of objects to export and import.
b. Sits inside another mdb as a self-contained form
c. Did not handle Relationships, References or linked tables.
d. All of the above may have changed in Dan's re-write to EatBloat2.

2. RemoteEatBloat
a. Is a standalone mdb which operates on an external mdb (hence Remote)
b. It works on complete collections of objects, ie AllForms, AllReports etc.
but DOES allow the user to say which collections to work on (or all of
them).  This way if there is a  problem with the external mdb, the user can
isolate which object is causing the problem, remove it  from  the source mdb
and then recreate  it on the newly created one manually at the end of the
job.
c. It does not cater for individual objects and thus works across the whole
external mdb in one go.
d. It handle Relationships, References and linked tables.
e. It exports ever thing to an intermediate mdb and from there using Compact
& Repair creates the destination mdb.
f. References can be text or GUID and will show which ones are broken etc.
g. Tables can be export in all ways or selected ways.  Clearly, only one way
can be imported otherwise  it will be creating additional table1, table2,
table3 etc which is not wanted.
h. Linked tables (to BE) are NOT exported or imported.  The program does
create the links again however so that the new mdb has everything in place.

3. Currently RemoteEatBloat does not handle ActiveX or OCX or anything other
than native Access objects (at this time but who knows).

I think there is a place for both programs to meet differing needs.  I may
well extend RemoteEatbloat to handle individual objects in the future but
that will depend on whether or not I  personally have a need for it.  After
all, all of this originated by my own need to reduce bloat and because I
only dev in A2K3 that is the platform it is designed for.

Because it uses AllForm type collections it may well run on other Access
platforms as long as they support the undocumented features of SaveAsText
etc (although undocumented they have been around for years and work well).

I may also replace the Allform with your excellent code which loops through
the Msys objects once I am happy with it all working  as-is.  That will be
an upgrade for me.

Please feel free to take all or any of the code and make use of it.  I will
send you a  copy off-line later today if that is ok with you.

Cheers

Max