[AccessD] Great Mystery of 2010 - Error 2285

Dan Waters dwaters at usinternet.com
Tue Feb 23 20:12:32 CST 2010

Hi Max,

Did you apply Jet SP8 to your PC?

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Max Wanadoo
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 4:57 PM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: [AccessD] Great Mystery of 2010 - Error 2285

Hi Guys,

Here is an absolute mystery to me. I would appreciate you guys throwing your
intellectual prowess at it because it has me totally baffled.

On Sunday bought myself a new  PC - similar spec to my existing one.
Installed Office2k3 from same disks that I  installed on my existing pc
(Site licence).
Copied over RemoteEatBloat and Existing Test mdbs onto new PC.

On importing of FORMS using app.LoadFromText acForm, strTemp, StrSource it
throws the infamous 2285 error.

The Web shows that this is an undocumented and unknown error which has
baffled mankind since the Dawn Of Ages.

The full error message is "Microsoft Office Access can't create the output
file."  It throws this for each Form it tries to import and lo and behold in
the folder is an unknown series of files called errors.txt, errors1.txt,
errors2.txt et seq all of Zero  Lengthy and empty. One for each Form it was
importing.    I am assuming that the files it is trying to create is the
actual  Form file and the error  files were there while the MS programmers
were testing it - Just a WAG.

Now, it has rights to create any file it wants, indeed it has just created a
ton of export files and imports everything else ok, so this is not a
"system" type error.

This runs without error  on my original PC remember.  Both specs the same
and both using A3k.

Doing FileCompare using ExamDiff
(http://www.prestosoft.com/edp_examdiff.asp) tells me that BOTH the exported
text files are IDENTICAL in every way.  One will import ok (original PC) and
the other won't (New PC).  BTW the Old PC is only 6 months old, as I say,
virtually identical spec and if this was the reason then all the Posters on
the Internet would have picked up on hardware issues years ago.

So, I copied ALL exported files (the whole folders) from the new PC to the
old PC and it runs perfectly.

So, again, there  must be something WITHIN Access itself causing the 2285
error.

Any clues or guesses guys?  I know half the internet are tearing their hair
out over this (according to the posting I read anyway!).

Max