[AccessD] Using macros - good thing or bad?

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Wed Feb 24 07:38:57 CST 2010

Steve,

  Found it:

Get started with Access programming
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access/HA012142131033.aspx

Read through the section "Should I use macros or should I use VBA code?"

And the statements from that section that I had in mind when I made my
comment:

"To help ensure the security of your database, you should try to use macros
whenever possible and resort to VBA programming only for operations that
cannot be accomplished by using macro actions. Furthermore, you should try
to use only macro actions that don't require granting trusted status to the
database in order to run. Limiting the use of macro actions in this way
allows your users to be confident that the database does not contain any
programming that could harm their data or other files on their computers.

Partly to encourage the wider use of macros, Office Access 2007 contains
many new macro actions that allow you to build more powerful macros than you
can build by using earlier versions of Access. For example, you can now
create and use global temporary variables by using macro actions, and you
can handle errors more gracefully by using new error-handling macro actions.
In earlier versions of Access, these types of features are available only by
using VBA. In addition, in Access 2007, you can embed a macro directly into
the event property of an object or control. An embedded macro becomes a part
of the object or control and stays with the object or control if it is moved
or copied. In earlier versions of Access, macros must be maintained as
separate objects, which sometimes makes your database more difficult to
maintain."

 Whether they actually could get rid of VBA I would find highly doubtful,
but the fact that they are encouraging the use of macro's over VBA and are
trying to move away from the use of VBA is beyond doubt.

Jim.