[AccessD] Using macros - good thing or bad?

Steve Schapel miscellany at mvps.org
Wed Feb 24 17:14:02 CST 2010

Ken,

From: "Kenneth Ismert" <kismert at gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2010 10:18 AM

> I think Microsoft would desperately like to move away from VBA, but can't.
> The security concerns are valid, but the installed base of VBA code is so
> huge that they will have to support it well past their original sunset
> plans.
>
> What they haven't done, at least before 2010, is provide a compelling
> alternative to VBA to coax users to make the move. Access 2010 web apps
> may
> finally be the inducement that will prompt many developers to make the
> switch.

I don't quite see it like that.  Web Apps provide a good reason to become
proficient with macros - but only for those who want to build Access Web
Apps.  However, Access will continue to be a platform for desktop apps, and
there will continue to be many, many Access developers continuing to use VBA
to work in this way.  In spite of the rather maverick article that Jim
pointed us to, I see a continued commitment to VBA from Microsoft.  We have
a 64 bit version of VBA coming, and they are not going there if it's on it's
last legs.  Also, have a look at
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/msdn/en-us/office/media/Atlas/Default.html#/VBA_Video.xaml

A colleague has also just pointed out to me a current discussion on another
forum, so if you are interested you might flick over to
http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?joel.3.797593.8

Regards
Steve