[AccessD] Database vs Sharepoint

Jurgen Welz jwelz at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 7 10:52:51 CST 2010

My biggest problem is that Sharepoint interfaces have browser limitations.  The good news is that almost everyone knows how to use IE.  Maybe when browsers become a bit more feature rich Sharepoint will be more useful.

Our parent corp runs a VPN environment for all our 8 offices and they rely heavily on Sharepoint but use separate applications developed in PowerBuilder for all their payroll, reporting, accounting and management tasks.  I purchased a 'For Dummies' book on Sharepoint but was not able to learn much as I lack rights to try even the most basic things using it.

We switched over to a SQL Server back end for our Access application in Oct '08 and I just got access to SQL Management Studio for our data about 2 weeks ago.  The reason for the access is we are migrating to a new multi virtual server environment and no one over at parent is familiar with the data systems we operate.  About 70% of the functionality of what I've written has to do with document managment and automation of MS Office products and supposedly this is a Sharepoint forté.  I can't begin to imagine how one would use Sharepoint to do any of the data - automation - file system interfacing we do.

What I've found is that our data and file migration requires a great deal of dependence on good old shell commands and scripting.  It seems that some of the old tools are still most functional.  There's nothing like fc, robocopy, dir *.pee /s > parsefile.txt and basic file i/o to get things done.  The good news is that MS Access can be used to run the whole upgrade at the call of a procedure that sequences and coordinates every step of the procedure.  It could also be done with Excel with a reference to DAO, or even Word I suppose.  Try that with a browser.

Ciao Jürgen Welz Edmonton, Alberta jwelz at hotmail.com