[AccessD] OT: Windows 7 .. I'm VERY impressed

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Thu Jan 21 23:46:31 CST 2010

Preach on Brother John! ;)

VMWare and VPC aren't like the great bound/unbound debate.  There are
advantages to both.  I started with VPC 2004, and that was ok.  It
brought my 1 ghz pIII to it's knees trying to run a Windows XP box.  Now
on my laptop, 2.2 ghz duo core, with 3 gigs of RAM, I can run several
machines (I've run three 2003 servers and a client XP machine at the
same time) and the performance wasn't bad at all.  Virtual Server let's
you run each machine in it's own thread.  And the two apps are both
completely free (though I think you have to pay for the absolute latest
Virtual Server) and interchangeable.  VMWare performs better, (even now,
from what I've read about 6 months ago) and it is simple to run any OS,
even non-MS stuff.  I have a ubuntu Linux VM in Virtual PC, but you kind
of have to jump through some hoops to do it.  VPC will get closer and
closer to VMWare, as far as performance, but it will always be slanted
towards running Windows based OSes.  I'd probably play around with
VMWare a bit when I have some time (LOL, who has that?), but I took the
time to create a base hard drive with every MS OS from DOS 6.22 to
Windows 7.  (Though I've tossed the Vista and 7 one, cause they are
pretty big, and unnecessary right now, and I never touched ME, couldn't
pay me enough to have the .iso image of that install on any of my
machines! LOL)

Couldn't agree more on RAID drives.  It's one of my favorite preach
points when people ask me about machines.  With drives getting so cheap,
and SATA Raid Controllers becoming more standard on motherboards, it's
almost a crime not to be using a RAID.  (Though I use RAID 0+1's more
then anything else.)

As for the ISO images, try this:

http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-magicdisc-overview.htm

Get the 106 version, behind the Windows 7 link (and one of the others I
think).  I can install that version on anything (just put it on a
netbook running XP pro the other day, and it runs fine in Windows 7 64
bit and Vista 32/64 bit).  In vista and 7, you'll be prompted about an
unsigned driver, but it works great.  You can add as many Virtual
CD/DVD-Roms as you want.  (one of my favorite games is FreeSpace, and
old 'space' game I got with my first PIII.  It needs the DVD to play, so
I usually have a drive specifically housing that iso image all the time
on my laptop.  Fun to play when I'm bored).  It runs in your system
tray, and is very user friendly.  It'll even make ISO images for you
(and other formats if you want).  I stick with ISO.  Did you know
another feature of Windows 7 is that it will natively burn an ISO image
to a blank CD/DVD with no other software?

With the 'working' VM machine on standby, I use it a lot, cause Access
97 is a little finicky on a windows 7 box, if you use another version of
Access, Access 97 tries to right to the registry and fails, so you have
to restart it 'As Administrator', which is a pain.  I use 97
periodically, still have a lot of working .mdb's still in 97 format.
Easiest way is to use my XP box (which has Office 97 and 2003 installed
together).  But another big reason I keep that, is that when I setup a
dev machine, I do a few extra things, which are just time consuming.
Like setting up file extension special commands (like when I right click
on an MDB, I make it so I have the option of what version of Access I
open it with, and if I open it with a secured mdw.).

Drew