[AccessD] OT: Windows 7 .. I'm VERY impressed

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Fri Jan 22 09:40:23 CST 2010

Actually there are utilities out there that let you rebuild a raid.
>From about 2001 to 2007, I used to always run a server OS on my work
desktop, so that I could mirror the OS drive and RAID 5 a data drive
using Dynamic Disks.  It was workable, though definitely slower than a
real raid controller.  One day I reinstalled my desktop, and didn't
backup what was on my data drive.  When I did the installation, I only
formatted the C: drive, however, with Dynamic disks, the volume
information is stored in the first volume, so when the OS was installed,
my RAID 5 was gone!  Found a little utility that let me rebuild the
RAID.  (It's not a click and go, you have to find and get some values so
that it can sync the RAID right), but with a little help (for a fee) I
was up and running in a few hours.

But you are right, that a true RAID controller is going to be less
hassle and better all around.

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Friday, January 22, 2010 7:46 AM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] OT: Windows 7 .. I'm VERY impressed

 > With drives getting so cheap, and SATA Raid Controllers becoming more
standard on motherboards,

One caution is that raid controllers created by motherboard hardware can
cause a disaster if the
motherboard dies.  At best you will need to get the same raid chip set
(intel, or AMD or ...), at
worst your raid array can be unreadable.

I use a hardware co-processor raid array and have never had that issue.
I have moved the entire
raid setup from one box to another with an entirely different
motherboard, and in fact even a
different OS and the raid array just turned on and ran (after driver
installs of course).

For critical data, a hardware controller is highly recommended.

Drew Wutka wrote:
> Preach on Brother John! ;)
>
> VMWare and VPC aren't like the great bound/unbound debate.  There are
> advantages to both.  I started with VPC 2004, and that was ok.  It
> brought my 1 ghz pIII to it's knees trying to run a Windows XP box.
Now
> on my laptop, 2.2 ghz duo core, with 3 gigs of RAM, I can run several
> machines (I've run three 2003 servers and a client XP machine at the
> same time) and the performance wasn't bad at all.  Virtual Server
let's
> you run each machine in it's own thread.  And the two apps are both
> completely free (though I think you have to pay for the absolute
latest
> Virtual Server) and interchangeable.  VMWare performs better, (even
now,
> from what I've read about 6 months ago) and it is simple to run any
OS,