[AccessD] A2003:Replacing 'tokens' in a string

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Thu Jan 28 11:38:08 CST 2010

Sigh, Max, you weren't on here during the bound/unbound debates.  Those
debates were monumental, and most of it was experience vs. experience.

You are arguing with people that have already been down the path you
have been.  I don't think you will ever find a developer using OOP that
hasn't done the basic line per line process too.  And we all got pretty
good at that first too.  My initial experience with Access involved
macros, and I could do some magic with macros.  But then I ran into
something that I couldn't do with a macro (in that particular case, I
wanted to hide the Access window, not the DB window, the Access window,
and that required an API call), I started to learn VBA.  Do I still use
macros?  Yes, can't beat the AutoExec and AutoKeys feature of macros.
Would I use a macro to open a form or run a query, nope, cause I can do
that in code just as fast, and I get far more control.  But it is
simpler to open a form with a Macro, heck, you can drag a macro onto a
form and it creates an command button automatically.  Why would anyone
use VBA code for such a simple task as opening a form? <grin>

I am not trying to be derogatory here Max.  You are a great programmer,
I've seen a lot of the work you have posted.  But this list is about
sharing ideas and learning.  I wish that this list had as many class
posts as it does now, back when I first joined.  I would have leaped
ahead years before I did.  So when you describe a class solution as
horrendous, or classes are hammers, you give the WRONG, TOTALLY WRONG,
impression of what classes are, and what they can do.

Drew