[AccessD] Word merge document

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Jul 6 11:12:56 CDT 2010

Lambert,

Alignment doesn't appear to have much to do with it.  It is the total length of the field keeps
changing and that causes the stuff following the field to be pushed around.

Taking your idea and my programming skills, I am going to:

1) Use Access
2) Link to the CSV file
3) Create a query with all of the fields
4) Create a function that takes two parameters, strData and intLength.  The function will return a
string intLength characters long.  If the data is not long enough it will pad right with spaces, if
it is too long it will chop the data to fit the space available
5) Every single field in the query will then run through the function.  I can manually adjust the
intLength in the query.
6) MAYBE (eventually) move to dynamic sql and a table to pull the length out of.  then I can just
edit the table to adjust the lengths if the data.

All because Microsoft things pretty tool bars are more important than solving REAL PROBLEMS like this.