[AccessD] Terrible performance like I have never seen before

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Jul 8 21:06:52 CDT 2010

Now that we are on the subject of connection databases and I am not
interested in the bound or unbound discussion, but in defense of ADO-OLE
over ODBC.

A little preamble; 2001 and the company I was worked for crashed and burned
but I bid on a excellent project of connecting Oracle to 80-90 desktops
worth up go 100k. I used the standard ODBC connection. Performance was
acceptable for ADD and UPDATE but SELECT was so slow... Needless to say, no
excuses, I lost the contract. I fortunately, I got a second chance, with
another department and this time, after a bit of research won the contract.
The contract was for a F/T programming project which extended for almost 3
years. This time I used ADO-OLE and the performance was superior to any
application out there... nearly twice as fast as Oracle's own desktop
product.

ADO is one of the most under-rated connection products. It is free and comes
on all Windows OS since Win95, requires no installs as everyone, no matter
how far away, has it. There is none of this going from one desktop to
another to set things up. ADO also has a lot of built-in functionality; it
has the Shape object that works like a Transpose matrix... great for super
fast cross-tabs. Then the Stream object for transferring pictures, documents
and video (though I never tried the streaming video in a client's app)... at
the time it was fastest streaming method available and it could make your
network look like it had a Flash Server. ADO synchronization so that data
could be coming for multiple sources and be 'unioned' together... great for
cross-referencing data. There are many other objects that very impressive
and again they are very lean and very fast.

I must admit that ODBC is initially easier to setup but with a big or
long-term project ADO is superior in every way.

Jim