[AccessD] OT: MS WebMatrix for web development

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Jul 8 21:54:39 CDT 2010

Most of the POS web stuff I work with is all proprietary applications. You
would never see any of it unless you work in the particular company... most
of it is web based or cytrix based and all connected via VPNs.

For example, just check out your Wal-Mart casher... The app on her station
can be changed every night and every thing sold or brought back, is
calibrated in virtually real time. Sales from all over the world stream in
to some central office, in the US. (I can not remember where). This is one
of IBM's big contracts but I have been brought in, from time to time, to
assist with server installs and district wide roll-outs.

There is and always will be a place for desktop apps but their importance,
especially among the giants of industry who want centralized control, the
desktop is no longer used other than as a platform from which to support
their web or web interface apps.

That is the way I see everything going but I could be wrong.

Jim