[AccessD] Access source control

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Jul 14 12:34:42 CDT 2010

Michael,

I mostly understand all of that.  I use SVN with Visual Studio here in my office.  I have a
programmer that comes in and works and I do C# coding.  We both check out / in pretty much daily.  I
have had to reconcile differences a couple of times.  I don't do anything fancy with it though.

AFAICT SVN does not add anything into the file itself - author, date etc.  Given that it could
corrupt a file structure (word or excel) I doubt that it can do that.  I think the header info is
kept in the repository somewhere.  We shall see.

I exported a FE to text files and checked them in, then checked them back out.  I then made a simple
edit to the code behind form for one form and reexported / checked in that one form.  Basically I
did exactly that, export over the top of an existing text file.

SVN tags files on disk with icons and the icon changed from a green check to a red ! until I checked
the change in.  Unfortunately I it appears that Tortoise doesn't use the same property to find the
repository for the diff application because when i tried to use that widget it says it can't find
the repository.  Sigh.

But the concept seems sound.  Really the hardest part seems like it would be getting the file back
in to the MDB.  That is probably not difficult, it would just have to be deleted and then the text
file sucked in and saved.