[AccessD] Access-->>SharePoint

Jennifer Gross jengross at gte.net
Fri Jul 16 06:58:34 CDT 2010

Happy Friday everyone,

I've read the archives on SharePoint and am wondering if anyone has any
success stories and could offer guidance on relational databases and Access
07 forms and reports using SharePoint.  I am supporting a small department
now and it is the perfect Access app opportunity.  They are pulling together
data from multiple sources plus we need to capture some data points that are
not being captured elsewhere.  They are convinced that SharePoint is the way
to go, but from all I can see SharePoint 'databases' are all flat files and
I can't put a whole lot of logic and limitations around data validation.  My
real analysis work will definitely be done in Access or SQL.  What's the
point of using SharePoint if I am supporting 12 people, can drop the BE on
our share drive and FEs on each user's desktop and we're off.  Is it worth
mounting this SharePoint learning curve if I can build them a whiz bang
system in Access?  I think not.  Any arguments in favor of SharePoint?

Thanks in advance,

Jennifer Gross