[AccessD] Future of Microsoft Access

Kenneth Ismert kismert at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 16:10:59 CDT 2010

There is a Python-based desktop database app, very similar to Access in it's
concept:

Dabo -- http://dabodev.com/

Plus, they're working on a web-based front-end that they hope will be a
seamless transition from the desktop version.

> Stuart McLachlan:
>  But I don't want a .Net based Access.   I want a standalone application
> that doesn't need a
> huge framework.

The Access runtime is a monster -- over 200MB for the latest download. The
.NET Framework 4 Standalone is 48MB. Plus, .NET is already there for every
Vista and Windows 7 machine.

> jwcolby:
> LOL.  Yea, so write one.  Or go use (and help write) OpenOffice.
>
> John Bartow:
> ... If someone that understood how powerful Access is would be working on
> the OpenOffice
> Suite maybe they'd get the geeks together to do it...

There is OpenOffice Base: http://www.openoffice.org/product/base.html

jwcolby:
> ... having a .Net based Access work-alike works for me...

I wouldn't want a  .NET Access clone -- there are many things in Access that
are a PITA, which should be dumped.

I would rather get rid of the 20 years of dreck and outdated thinking, and
come up with a radical, simple, modern database front-end app based on
current best practice.

You could program the foundation in .NET, and let users script it in
JavaScript, the lingua franca of the Internet.

Such an app, if well-conceived, could put a lot of .NET programmers
out-of-work ;)

-Ken