[AccessD] Needs analysis

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Mon Jun 21 09:25:15 CDT 2010

Ok, a little fuzzy about your math here.

First of all, a RAID 1+0 (RAID 10) is actually 2x used for x storage
space.  It's a striped mirror set, so you use up 2 drives for each
mirror set, and then stripe those.

Second, 1 gig drives...really?  That's VERY small by today's standards!
Hopefully you meant terabyte.

How much space do you actually need?  From what you are saying, it looks
like you have 16 drives. (2 sets of 6 disk RAID 6, (which is 12 drives
as you said), plus a 2 drive striped set, plus a 2 drive mirrored set).
The way you SHOULD have this setup is with a 2 drive mirror, and a 14
drive RAID 1+0.  That first mirrored set should be your operating
system.  Put NOTHING else on there.  Then install everything else to the
RAID 1+0.

You said you had a budget for upgrading your machine.  John, I'm
serious, when reading and writing from a database, your absolute most
limiting factor is going to be drive speed!

So what kinda storage space do you need, and how big are your drives?
(Again, I'm assuming your way off on the 1 gig part).  I guess you could
be getting very small solid state drives, but those aren't idea for a
database either.  If you went with fairly cheap drives (260 gigs are
like $35 range, depending on the interface), for $560, you could have a
260 gig root drive for your OS, and then 1.8 terrabyte data drive.

Drew