[AccessD] OT Friday: Diskettes on the fly?

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Mar 5 08:53:09 CST 2010

Hi Arthur

Yes, FastBack was used a lot and some others as well, even Microsoft had a util (MSBackup?) for a similar purpose. Your alternative was a tape station. I recall a 40 MB tape drive in a Compaq 386 server, a machine with a ~10k USD price tag.

But I can beat those. In the days of the shareware libraries you could order diskettes with all sorts of utils. Once I received one with a util, Vdisk I think, which emulated a harddisk on floppy disks! That was, you could stack up, say, 20 HD disks of 1.2 MB to emulate a 24 MB harddisk. As you read from or wrote to the emulated harddisk, the util would ask you to insert the disk which contained the data for the part of the "harddisk" you accessed. Even for those days this was weird but it worked - I tried it but for fun only.

/gustav

>>> fuller.artful at gmail.com 05-03-2010 15:31 >>>
I remember a program called FastBack that I used to back up my 10MB hard
disk. LOL. It took about 50 diskettes to do a single backup. Now I'm faced
with similar problems. You know many dual-layer DVDs it takes to back up a
Terabyte? Sheesh.

Arthur