[AccessD] OT: New Laptop

Jurgen Welz jwelz at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 5 11:20:59 CST 2010

I was told to source a new laptop for the boss so I spec'ed out something sweet.  He then told me to buy it and give him my old one...

Have a look at the Vaio VPCZ11Z9E.

Intel Core I7 2.66 Ghz, Turbo Boost to 3.3 Ghz

8 Gigs

Quad SSD (Raid 0) 512 Gig

1920 by 1080 LED Screen (13.1")

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M  with 1 Gig GDDR3 VRAM

(on the fly switchable to integrated graphics)

Built in BlueRay Burner

HDMI out

Internal GPS & software

Internal Verizon Wireless modem

6 hours full brightness screen on battery power

fingerprint reader

Dock

Under keyboard LED keyboard illumination, sensor controlled

Weight with Battery, 1.43 Kg  (3.15 pounds)

I've currently got the 3.3 pound 1600 * 900 screen Vaio Z predecessor and picked up 5 newer models (VGN Z820) for some of the other managers since Christmas.

Actually I'm buying the Canada market version that lacks the GPS and Verizon wireless.  I'd be tempted to pick it up in the US if I could get the Verizon unlocked to work on the Rogers network in Canada.  I'm currently using a tiny Option USB Cell modem stick for internet on the road and it would be nice to have something internal.  I also use a USB connected GPS though that is usually on a netbook with an SSD as my current Vaio has a 7200 RPM drive.  A Canadian version becomes available for order this Sunday and I'm waiting to verify the details.  The specs above are from Tom's hardware and the Sony US site.  Tom's says 6 Gigabytes, Sony 8.  Tom's says 256 Gig quad array, Sony says 512.  Tom's says the array is 6.2 times faster than a 5400 RPM drive.  You can customize the machine you want though, and the options are there to built it with lots of power.  The only thing that's missing is USB 3.

I love the 1600 by 900 13.1" LED screen on the one I have and can't wait to see the 1920 by 1080 screen.

Ciao Jürgen Welz Edmonton, Alberta jwelz at hotmail.com