[AccessD] SPAM-LOW: Treeview/Listview OCX Disabled by MS

William Hindman wdhindman at dejpolsystems.com
Sat Mar 13 10:11:46 CST 2010

...vb.net and c#.net are virtually identical in their capabilities ...only
the syntax is significantly different in the latest versions and you'll pick
that up fairly quickly ...learning the net framework is the major effort,
not the language you choose to work in ...I started in vb.net because the
syntax seemed more familiar but that's really an illusion since it's very
different from vba in reality ...I've since moved to forcing myself to work
in c#.net because 1) that's where the work is and 2) that's what ~70% or
more of the on-line responses and sample code are written in ...and I live
on sample code ...besides which, there are some very good (and free) on-line
translators between the two now ...if I were starting over in net I'd pass
on vb.net and go straight to c#.net

...if I recall correctly, you're an unbounder in Access and that will make
the transition to VS a lot simpler than it was for a bounder like me ...and
if you're learning by converting an existing Access app as I did, you can
use the current mdb be as your database while you learn VS, then learn SQL
Server once you've gotten past the major VS learning curve ...the conversion
to SS is pretty straight forward in VS.

...forms design paradigm in net is different than Access and takes more time
...but once you get the hang of it, the framework allows virtually infinite
capabilities that Access can't begin to match ...as gustav mentioned, there
are literally dozens of ways to accomplish almost anything in net ...and
tools, tools, tools, and more tools ...which can be a pita until you work
out your own preferences ...I started with the express version and then
upgraded to VS2008 Pro ...and it looks like VS2010 is an even better product
...I can't begin to tell you how much I like working in VS compared to
Access ...MS put a lot of their best talent into developing this product.

...dba runs a vb list that has really become a c# list of late even though
the name remains ...join and you'll find gustav, jc, and others you'll
recognize already there.

William