[AccessD] Any VBA code thats reads PDF

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sat Mar 20 17:10:13 CDT 2010

PDF stands for Portable Document Format.  It is a "language" which describes how to display
pieces of information (printable characters, images etc) on a page.  It consists of a collection
of instructions to the PDF reader application along the lines of "display the characters '12345'
at position (x,y) on page 3".

It does not retain tabulated data in a tabulated structure.  Essentially, you are asking how to
unscramble scrambled eggs or how to extract the butter, flour, eggs and milk separately out
of a baked cake.

However ( ain't there always one of those) - if you are asking about Formdata in a PDF, the
situation is different.  Formdata is where tthe PDF document is specifically designed with
data fields for the users to fill out using an appropriate program. This data can be extracted. \

Take a look at A-PDF at http://www.a-pdf.com/form-data-extractor/ or the CutePDF SDK at
http://www.cutepdf.com/solutions/FormSDK2.asp for a couple of tools that  you could
integrate with VBA using Shell().  You can use these to extract the data to a temporary file
which you can then import into Access.

--
Stuart