[AccessD] Expressions

William Hindman wdhindman at dejpolsystems.com
Tue Mar 30 04:09:24 CDT 2010

Rocky

"Expression Engine" is a decent web content management system, "MS
Expression" is a Microsoft web development suite of tools targeted at the
web site "designer" market ...neither is anything like an Access desktop fe
nor serves the same purpose ...if the desire is to have a browser based
fe/web app for an Access be, then the best tool for your existing skill set
would probably be Visual Studio 2010 ...the VS 2010 Express, Web Developer
version is free and can probably do what you need, certainly in the learning
stage ...but the Pro version allows you to compile your code into a dll
which meets your criteria for code security.

...assuming that the client is looking for a browser based solution on a web
site, and anticipates high traffic, an mdb be can be problematic ...an
Access be on the web can handle several hundred users a day quite well
...but anything more and your client will need to move to a SQL Server be.

...either way, if you're looking at anything more than a desktop fe for
their current mdb be, the learning curve can be quite steep ...VB.net is NOT
vba ...it's a fe programming language for the .net framework, object
oriented, and the web resources are quite a bit more limited than for vba or
C#.net.

...however, Shamil and a group of AccessD developers recently did a
conversion of the Northwind.mdb to .net and the entire project, both results
and the interim steps to get there are hosted on codeplex and available for
download ...it's a great learning tool that would have helped me immensely
in my first foray into .net apps ...if you decide to take the client on,
that would be the first place I'd look to especially since help is
immediately available from those you already know and respect.

William