[AccessD] Automated Access 2007 Reports E-mailed with Outlook in Remote Desktop Environment

Brad Marks brad.marks1 at gmail.com
Mon May 3 06:39:10 CDT 2010

Automated Access 2007 Reports E-mailed with Outlook in Remote Desktop
Environment  (aka Terminal Services )

Sometimes when trying to explain a problem to others, the solution pops into
my head.  I am sure that all of you have experienced this also.  (I haven't
had any popping sounds in my head so far).

I have set up an Access 2007 application that automatically reads data from
a SQL Server database, generates several reports, and then pushes these
reports out to several files in PDF format. After the report files are
generated, I use VBA code in Access to fire up Outlook to e-mail the reports
as attachments to several department managers.    This system is initiated
by the Windows Scheduler at 4:00 AM every day and is run with no human
intervention.  In order to avoid the need for human intervention in the
Outlook part, I employ a technique to bypass the normal Outlook warning
messages via the approach shown at this URL.

http://www.everythingaccess.com/tutorials.asp?ID=Outlook-Send-E-mail-without-Security-Warning

This approach works nicely when I am logged on, or when all of the
components are on my PC.  However,  I recently ran into a problem when I
tried to implement this system in a "Remote Desktop Environment".

When working in this environment, everything works fine when I am logged
in.  However, if I log off, the Outlook portion will not work.  I am new to
the Remote Desktop Environment, but I believe that the root issue that I am
running into is that when I am logged off, the proper connection between
Access 2007 and Outlook cannot be established, thus no emails are sent.  The
generation of the reports still works, however.  Just the E-mail portion
fails.

I am curious if others who work in a Remote Desktop Environment have run
into this issue.

I cannot keep the application on a stand-alone PC.  It needs to be moved to
the Remote Desktop Environment.

I cannot simply stay logged in the Remote Desktop Environment 24X7.

I need to find a way to send e-mails from Access 2007 that require no human
intervention while running in the Remote Desktop Environment.

I have read a little about Blat, but I have not experimented with it yet.  I
would like to avoid introducing another component and would prefer to use
Outlook if possible.

If anyone has experience with this issue, I would really appreciate their
insights.

Thanks,
Brad