[AccessD] Feeler for a development project

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Wed May 12 13:51:16 CDT 2010

Ok folks, I haven't been seriously developing for about 2 years now.
I'm now our companies Network Systems Administrator.  Being able to
code, and deal with databases is a real plus in this position, but I
simply don't have time to do any development projects for our company.
My move has kind of created a vacuum here.  Over the years of being the
in house developer, I created all sorts of custom apps/systems to do
various tasks.  I have very few problems with these systems, and they
require almost no maintenance.  But the company's desire to get new and
increased benefits have continued, while I am no longer able to do the
job. (Simply don't have time).

My boss has contemplated an in house developer.  The problem with that,
is that while there are projects to be done, the simple reality is that
there aren't enough true development jobs to keep someone busy 40 hours
a week, 52 weeks of the year. While I was the in house developer, I was
also the Exchange Admin, Intranet admin, website admin, etc.  I also
handled general help desk, etc.

We have a problem right now, that is starting to boil over, which is
PROBABLY (and I'm emphasizing that because this is very preliminary)
going to allow my boss to hire an outside developer to get some work
done (who would then be working for me on contract).

Here's the problem:

We have lots of testing equipment that dumps data into Access .mdbs.
These 'testers' are using VB 6 programs written by an engineer that
works in house.  Off the top of my head, I'd say there are probably at
least 12 to 15 active systems doing this.  The in house engineer does a
great job of developing the testing software, but doesn't have a clue
about databases. He basically dumps the data straight into one huge
table in an Access .mdb.  Because these .mdb's are basically glorified
Excel spreadsheets, they grow in size way to rapidly, and backing them
up begins to be problematic.  Plus our company spent a pretty penny on a
system from ASI, which basically lets them view all of this data, like a
data warehouse, and they have been having serious problems getting that
whole process to work.

Years ago, 2004, I had begun building a 'Data Acquisition' System.  A
system with the following intended components:

1.        Local database, where test data is stored live.

2.       VB .dll that is the interface used by the testing platform
(whether it's a VB6 program, a Labview program, or some scripting
engine) to put the data into the system.

3.       A control panel to setup the local database to deal with that
test machines 'program needs'. (ie, you could setup a 'program' that
recorded User Name, Hot Temp, Cold Temp, and Voltage.  Another program,
in the same database might handle height, width, etc.).  This was all
done for the database in step 1, which is as relational as I could make
it, in order to make the data storing as efficient as possible, and
retrieval as fast as possible.

4.       A website, on the local machine built to view local test data.

5.       A server based database (SQL Server) that all the local
databases would upload their data too.

6.       A reporting engine that would allow a user to view all company
wide data from the SQL Server.

7.       A process to allow the reporting system to also view live data
from the local machines.

I got step 1, 2, 3, and part of 4 done.  In fact, it was put in place on
one of our test machines in October of 2004, and has been running
flawlessly since then.  I needed to finish 4 through 7, in order to push
this system out to all test machines. Other projects came up, and this
project was moth balled indefinitely.

Now, due to several factors, this system is getting the green light to
get finished, and I just don't have the time.  And as I said, it looks
like the plan might be to outsource this, to get it finished, or build a
replacement for the purpose.

So this email is to get a feel if there is anyone interested in getting
involved with this.  The current system uses VB 6, Access (believe it or
not, 97...LOL, but it's only being used as a database, not a front end
platform) , ASP, and SQL Server (which isn't part of the system yet).
I've got the entire system, steps 1 through 7 built in my head already.
So finishing what I started is a possibility, but if moving this to a
new platform makes sense, I'm fine with that too.

So give me a show of hands, thoughts, etc!  Oh, and I don't care where
you are located, this can definitely be done remotely.

Drew

The information contained in this transmission is intended only for the person or entity
to which it is addressed and may contain II-VI Proprietary and/or II-VI Business
Sensitive material. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender
immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.
You are notified that any review, retransmission, copying, disclosure, dissemination,
or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons
or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.