[AccessD] Simple-Talk commentary

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Mon May 17 07:53:24 CDT 2010

Hi Steve --

<<<
What do you think about the editor's point that there is no obvious
upgrade path from Access and that it has long out-lived its
usefulness?

That editor's point of view is wrong.  IMO VBA was/is a "bottleneck" of MS
Access and MS Office.

In masters' hands scaling MS Access applications shouldn’t be a big issue -
just keep in mind conventional wisdom: "right tool for the right job", and
"there is no free cheese in this world" - if bicycle is good enough for your
current needs and you have funds just to purchase a bicycle don't expect
that investing a penny in the future you'll  get your bicycle "automagically
converted" into a car, or even more that you will be able to "scale your
bicycle into a rocket engine": but if your MS Access apps were/are developed
by true masters then almost every part of your "bicycle" will be smoothly
reused/applied to your new "car" and/or "rocket engine", and I'm talking
here mainly about "applying/reusing" software and database development
principles not about reusing/applying of the physical parts on scaling:
"nuts, bolts, chains, pedals and breaks"...

After all software programming, and database modeling/development conceptual
principles didn't change that much for the last 40 years (30 years since
relational db theory was mainly developed, and first relational db engines
were released)...

We're ascending "software development evolution spiral", and our experience
is telling us that there could not exist an "absolute evil" ("Microsoft
Monster" as Simple-Talk editors call it) development tool: IMO MS Access has
currently got its general application software development market's
"negation phase" - how long it will last? I do not know. Will it change to
the positive trend in the future? Sure. Original idea of MS Access database
to keep data tables, queries, forms, reports, macros and modules within one
database file container was very progressive and fruitful in my opinion...

Request to Microsoft: (:)) Just add VB.NET/C#/whatever else modern general
purpose development language support to MS Access container database, and
develop ADO.NET entity provider for MS Access databases, and you'll get MS
Access back to the mainstream of application software development...

Thank you.

-- Shamil