[AccessD] Transfer Text Problem

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Mon May 24 17:03:46 CDT 2010

To deal with quoted strings containing commas, I pass the line through a function like the
following and then Split() on Tabs

Function TabLine(strLine As String) As String
'Changes a comma delimited line to a
'tab delimited line to avoid problems with
'quoted text containing commas

Dim lngX As Long
Dim strChar As String
Dim flgInQuotes As Boolean

flgInQuotes = False
For lngX = 1 To Len(strLine)
  strChar = Mid$(strLine, lngX, 1)

  If strChar = Chr$(34) Then
     flgInQuotes = Not flgInQuotes
  End If

  If Not flgInQuotes And strChar = "," Then
  ' convert unquoted comma to tab
     Mid$(strLine, lngX, 1) = Chr$(9)
  End If

Next