[AccessD] Making phone calls from Access

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Thu May 27 02:55:44 CDT 2010

Hi Doug

If you know the com port to the modem you can simply send the dial command:

strPort = "COM2:"
' Prefix to wait for dial tone, call out via PBX and wait for new dial tone.
strPhonePrefix = "W0W"
' Phone number with no spaces.
strPhoneNo = "004612345678"
Open strPort For Output As #1
Print #1, "ATDT" & strPhonePrefix & strPhoneNo
Close #1

Alternatively, I found this old archive of PC Plus:
http://web.archive.org/web/20030116075707/http://www.pcplus.co.uk/tips/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=5545&subsectionid=390

which tells:

<quote>
Is there a way to start Phone Dialer with the phone number as a command line parameter so I can create a series of shortcuts? I have tried, but without success.
Bob Pearson

Nice idea, but Dialer.exe won't take command line parameters. You could probably run it via a scripting program, but it was easy to write a short utility that takes command line parameters and feeds them to the Windows Telephone API (TAPI). By an amazing coincidence, this causes the system to invoke Dialer.exe as the dialling engine, unless a higher-priority third party alternative has been installed.

Copy Dial.exe to your hard drive and test it by going to the Run dialog on the Start menu. Type the full path to Dial.exe, followed by a space and a phone number. Press [Return] and the number should be dialled. If it doesn't work, see the Trouble with TAPI article.
</quote>

This dial.exe is found here:
ftp://ftp.futurenet.co.uk/pub/pcplus/helpdesk/dial.exe

I cannot test if it will work as we have no modems left here.

Or a commercial alternative:

http://www.phonedialerpro.com/

/gustav

>>> dbdoug at gmail.com 27-05-2010 00:52 >>>
Does anyone have any pointers for getting Access to make phone calls?  I've
just spent a frustrating hour or so buried in the Microsoft TAPI 3
documentation without learning anything.

TIA
Doug