[AccessD] Samsung 2 gb 5400 $80

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Nov 25 23:42:17 CST 2010

For anyone doing an HTPC - this is a well liked, huge drive for a darned good price.  I'm about to
do this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152245

I just pulled the trigger on a 40" LCD for the bedroom and now I need an HTPC.  I have a version 1
TIVO but that is getting long in the tooth, and doesn't really look very good on a high def TV.  I
think it is time to move on, though I am not sure whether I will convince my wife to give up the
TIVO.  The TIVO is probably the most reliable piece of electronics I have *ever* encountered and
dead simple to use.

The HTPC will cost more than the TV by quite a bit (or the TIVO, even with the lifetime
subscription).  OTOH I built one for the living room and it has been solid as a rock since I moved
it to Windows 7.  The HTPC can work with my Unraid media server to display not only ripped movies
but photos, home video and music.  My new low end cameras take stunningly good video in addition to
photos.

My daughter loves to sit and watch home videos of herself.  Quite the little narcissist.