[AccessD] HTPC Build - was Samsung 2 gb 5400 $80

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Nov 27 15:10:32 CST 2010

Mike,

That looks like an awesome media extender for sure.  Because of what I do, I have parts laying
around, and so building another box is less onerous to me.  I decided to build a "professional
grade" HTPS to go in the master bedroom, but my total cost is around $430.

Of that, $80 was for the 2 GB hard drive and $120 was for the dual TV tuner.  Both of those are
things I would be purchasing anyway.  My current HTPC has a single channel tuner and I am constantly
hitting the "can't watch this because I am recording that" issue.

Beyond that all I needed to buy was a case, PS and MB - the total for which was around $210.  I have
processors, memory and windows 7 licenses lying around.  If I had to pay for all that I would be
canceling my order and buying a popcorn hour.

In fact I might buy one anyway for the family room downstairs.  When I bought the TV for the master
bedroom, I moved an old "all in one" 19" TV, VCR and DVD downstairs.  At the rate that TVs are
dropping, I will probably go get a 32" TV for downstairs, at which point the Popcorn hour will make
it all work.