[AccessD] Apples to oranges take 2a

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Oct 7 13:03:47 CDT 2010

Lambert,

Thanks for that article.

It is interesting that this author describes the flash write lifetime as "well over a million".  I
intensely studied the current literature and came to the conclusion that MLS is pretty much quoted
as 10K and SLC as 100K.  Both well south of 1 million.

10K is not a large number.  1 million is.  I don't know which to believe.

What I am going to do is to grab my old 32 gig SSD and use it as my tempdb disk.  The point of the
ssd is that reads and writes are fast and IOPS are startlingly high.  If SSDs are in fact durable,
and we can move the tempdb and log db to them then we have a huge win.

Unfortunately for me, I still have the issue of database size.  While I have managed to get the
"empty space" issue under control, I can still end up with log files many times the size of the 50
gig data file if I do heavy manipulation.