[AccessD] Normal.dot file altered on close?

Jurgen Welz jwelz at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 11 15:25:18 CDT 2010

I've had a similar problem for a long time.  It was very bizarre and appeared mysteriously after invoicing runs.  The procedure processes all live projects, calculates the total value of all invoices by project to date and compares with a figure entered by project managers as work complete to date for any project on which we had performed work during a month.  Whenever there is a difference, it generates an invoice, statutory declaration as required and an envelope for each contractor being invoiced.  The routine saves a copy of the invoice in each project's invoicing folder and a duplicate in each regional monthly invoice summary for batch printing depending on selections the user made when running the process.  The NoSave argument isn't really an option except for the envelopes and I should have a look at that.

Anyway, the procedure ran nicely for several years and then suddenly started prompting to save changes to the normal.dot file for each document generated.  Kind of a pain when 120 - 200 documents are generated by the routine.  At one stage it was interrupting the automation process as well., refusing to allow new documents to be created until the matter of saving normal.dot was addressed  After numerous complaints that they had done something to break our system, the IT department finally somehow determined that the combination of their adding some custom toolbars to their version of normal.dot and OrgPlus having an option in the tools menu to also appear on the Word toolbars caused a conflict when Word was run in automation mode.  Given that they had locked down normal.dot and had inserted password protected code, the user was faced with several menus before he could cancel the save or navigate to a place where it couldn't be used anyway.  The fix to the problem, believe it or not, was to disable the 'Use OrgPlus in Word Menus' option in Org Plus.

After working smoothly for the next two years, IT installed a new version of OrgPlus and now we have the same automation problem with normal.do again, but so far it hasn't broken the automation code itself.  I have the users log into a 2nd vpn session and just disconnect it after running invoicing rather than having them deal with all the cancel save pop ups.  Probably not the best solution but if the IT boys cant be bothered to figure it out, I'll just have users crash sessions when it's convenient.

Ciao

Jürgen Welz

Edmonton, Alberta

jwelz at hotmail.com