[AccessD] New poll on TechRepublic.com

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Thu Oct 14 17:41:22 CDT 2010

Hi Susan --

I'd note that in your poll:

How do you name Access objects?

    * I use a prefix for everything, even Access objects.
    * I use the natural naming method for Access objects.
    * I'm stuck with a convoluted business-ruled naming convention, so it
doesn't matter what I prefer.
    * I don't use a naming convention.
    * I use some other naming convention.

at least one entry is missing, which is worth to be clealy defined
additionally to "I use some other naming convention":

   * I use a prefix for everything, even Access objects except MS Access
tables', fields' and indexes' names.

Using prefixes for Access objects was useful (for grouping and sorting in db
window) when there was no a feature of grouping MS Acces objects in MS
Access database container.
Another purpose (at least for me) was (automated) documentation in which
consistent three-four letters long lowcase prefixes were useful

It's redundant to use such prefixed now IMO - I'd use suffixes (as it's
recommended in .NET Naming Guidelines) or nothing.
Still using "Hungarian Notation" for VBA coding is useful as it lets to
clearly see what this or that name means.
Although being more .NET developer than MS Access/VBA one these days I'm
starting to avoid using Hungarian Notation even in VBA code - and it looks
as a natural approach to me.

Thank you.

--
Shamil