[AccessD] Unraid

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Oct 19 21:13:56 CDT 2010

I got a good deal on three 1GB Samsung drives the other day, and as a result I am about to launch an
UnRaid NAS.

http://lime-technology.com/

I currently use Windows Home Server but have never been happy with all aspects of what it is and
does.  I absolutely love the way that it backs up computers, with the sector copy / compare.  Cool
technology.  Unfortunately my experience has seen an abysmal restore scenario.  I have had restores
work, I have had restores fail to work.  When they refuse to restore I have just utterly failed to
force that restore to ever work.

I have the same experience with the backup.  9 of 10 of my machines restore faithfully, the other
absolutely refuses to see the WHS server.

Backups have to be 100% absolutely reliable and restores have to be 100% absolutely reliable or you
are rolling dice when you do your backups.  WHS has never had that 100% reliability for me.

So I am about to take down my WHS in favor of an UnRaid NAS and plain old backup software.

We shall see how this goes but it certainly looks promising.