[AccessD] How to do Like and is null in where clause

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Oct 28 14:58:13 CDT 2010

I have a query where I need to select sets of data.  I am looking at existing data in a field,
status codes, which I display in a combo so that the user can select sets of records based on those
codes.  I basically pass the combo box value into the where clause (through a fltr() method) and
back come the filtered results.  In order to handle the "*" (all) I use a like Fltr().

The problem is that if the value in the status is an empty string, the combo returns a null.  Null
and Like are mutually exclusive.

I finally got around this by testing the combo in the after update of the combo and if the combo
value is null, passing a "" to fltr() and thus into the where of the query.

I'm just wondering if anyone has found another way to do this.