[AccessD] Can a Linked Table (Excel file) be opened Non-Exclusively by Access?

Brad Marks BradM at blackforestltd.com
Fri Sep 10 13:08:14 CDT 2010

We have just started to experiment with treating an Excel File as a
Linked Table.  Everything works nicely with just one user.

When a second user tries to use the Access application, the application
sits for a long time and eventually returns this message  "The Microsoft
Office Access database engine cannot open or write to the file .......
It is already opened exclusively by another user......

When going through the Access 2007 screens to set up the Linked Table,
we are not seeing any option regarding Exclusive use.  We must be
missing something here.

Thanks,

Brad