[AccessD] The Famous Bound/Unbound Debate

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Mon Sep 13 17:31:19 CDT 2010

Face it JC, once you started digging into classes, you began moving to
the dark side... just clinging to those irrational 'do-gooder'
feelings... ;)

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2010 4:04 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] The Famous Bound/Unbound Debate

Uhh... no!

On 9/13/2010 3:42 PM, Drew Wutka wrote:
> A lot of it was JC and I sparring.  LOL
>
> I guess the essence is that bound/unbound is a 180 degree difference
in
> the approach of developing an application.
>
> Bound forms in Access handle a metric ton of things automatically.  So
> you are starting with a ton of features, and functionality, and end up
> limiting, tweaking, or removing functionality.
>
> Unbound forms are the polar opposite.  There is not functionality at
> all, you have to build everything you want to do from the ground up.
>
> Bound design:
> Pros: Quicker to develop with instant functionality. Can be less code
> intensive (depending on how much customization is done).  Access does
> lot of work for you.
> Cons: More cumbersome from a mutli-user networked app.  If you need a
> light weight form, you spend more time limiting functionality.
>
> Unbound design:
> Pros: Inherently more light weight.  Special functionality can be
built
> into, instead of on top of.
> Cons: Longer development time.  More code intensive.  You replicate
work
> Access would do automatically in a bound form.
>
> One big trigger to the debate was database/application design
> preferences.
>
> JC just brought up his 'call center' application, and a while back, we
> had a discussion about one element of that application.
>
> It was in a 'memo' field.  Let's say we had to track calls coming in
> a support center.  We'd have fields for caller, tech, date, time,
issue,
> categories, etc.  And a memo field for details not put into more
> specific fields.
>
> In a bound method, that memo field would be just that, one field, in a
> table.  So as notes are 'added' to a ticket, you are modifying one
> field, in one record.
>
> In an unbound method, that memo field would be a separate table, with
an
> ID field linking back to the original table.  Each entry would be
> timestamped (and stamped with the creator of the record).  You
wouldn't
> edit a 'comment', simply add a new entry.
>
> There are pros and cons to both methods.
>
> Drew
The information contained in this transmission is intended only for the person or entity
to which it is addressed and may contain II-VI Proprietary and/or II-VI Business
Sensitive material. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender
immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.
You are notified that any review, retransmission, copying, disclosure, dissemination,
or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons
or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.