[AccessD] Link to spreadsheet

Kaup, Chester Chester_Kaup at kindermorgan.com
Mon Sep 20 14:07:17 CDT 2010

I am using the following code in an attempt to link to a password protected spreadsheet. I am running it from a terminal server instance of Access 2007 if that matters. I get the following error message. Could it have anything to do with the spreadsheet asking if I want to enable macros when I open it manually?

The file '-1' does not exist

Here is the code:

Sub LinkSpreadsheet()

On Error GoTo LinkSpreadsheet_Err

Dim varFileName As Variant
Dim strPassword As String
Dim db As Database
Dim oExcel As Object, oWb As Object

Set oExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application")

DoCmd.SetWarnings False

Set db = CurrentDb()

strPassword = "rig"

varFileName = "F:\DATA\PUBLIC\Rig Schedule\Rig Schedule.xls"

Set oWb = oExcel.Workbooks.Open(FileName:=varFileName, ReadOnly:=True,_ Password:=strPassword, UpdateLinks:=0, IgnoreReadOnlyRecommended:=True)
DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acLink, 8, varFileName, True
oWb.Close SaveChanges:=False

DoCmd.SetWarnings True

LinkSpreadsheet_Exit:
oExcel.Quit
Set oExcel = Nothing

Exit Sub

LinkSpreadsheet_Err:
MsgBox Error$
Resume LinkSpreadsheet_Exit

End Sub

Chester Kaup
Engineering Technician
Kinder Morgan CO2 Company, LLP
Office (432) 688-3797
FAX (432) 688-3799

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.