[AccessD] OT - Home networking question

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Apr 10 13:32:00 CDT 2011

Hi Doug:

Off the top, as you appears to be using a simple work-group type network,
with no servers, the first things to check if a computer is not seeing the
network, would be one of three items:

1. The workgroup name has to be the same on all your computers.
2. The IP range has to be the same i.e. 192.168.177.xxx where xxx is a
different value for every computer on the network. (Note: the value 177 can
be any number but it also must be consistent network wide)
3. The subnet mask usually defaults to 255.255.255.0...check for a key-in
error.

If these items are checked and are consistent then we have to look at the
router configuration and whether you are using your ISP as your domain
controller which will make it a whole different ball of wax.

HTH
Jim