[AccessD] New Language

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Apr 12 09:54:11 CDT 2011

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASIC

The eight design principles of BASIC were:

    1. Be easy for beginners to use.
    2. Be a general-purpose programming language.
    3. Allow advanced features to be added for experts (while keeping the language simple for
beginners).
    4. Be interactive.
    5. Provide clear and friendly error messages.
    6. Respond quickly for small programs.
    7. Not to require an understanding of computer hardware.
    8. Shield the user from the operating system.

There are phases in learning to program.

0) Selecting a learning tool
1) learning programming concepts, keywords and constructs (loops / tests)
2) coming up with an idea of something to program
3) selecting a tool to implement the idea
4) Learning the tool
5) Implementing that idea
6) Go to 1

Whether or not basic will be around in the future it is a good language for starting to learn to
program.  IMHO, more than anything else, the programming environment and specifically the ease or
difficulty of use of that environment determines the success of learning to program.

Access and VBA is certainly not the easiest to use environment, but it is still very easy.  Creating
a database is easy.  Creating a new module is easy.  Creating a form and button and text box is
easy.  You can progress one step at a time.

1) Here is how to build a database container.
2) Here is how to create a module and save it
3) Here is how to open that module and add a function
4) Here is the debug window - how to execute that method and see a result.

etc.  The advantage of starting in Access is that while you are at it, you're teaching the concepts
in a real life environment, which has enormous power to "go to the next step" particular in database
applications.

5) here is how to create a table (and what a table is)
6) Fields
7) open and enter data (cool, the data is stored!)

All tightly integrated.

8) Here is a form and a button.
9) here is the code that runs when the button is clicked.

easy to move on to more stuff, interesting stuff, stuff that can earn Dad money... ;)