[AccessD] Search as you type (note to JC)

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Apr 21 12:26:38 CDT 2011

 > John, the timer logic you suggested for the search box worked like a charm.

Its nice to occasionally get one right.  :)

Long ago I built a system to take a list and populate it with the matches to the characters being
typed into a text box.  I sized the list to just a single line and positioned it butted up to the
bottom of the text box.  As the user typed the first character into the text box, the logic "opened"
the list by causing the size to change to some value (a few inches).  Then I populated the list with
"like CharactersTypedIn*".  When the user tabbed out (onExit of the text box) the top value in the
list was pulled into the text box and the list pulled back up to a single line.

It worked just like a combo box basically.