[AccessD] AC 2007/2010 - Help...this is turning into a research project

Darryl Collins darryl at whittleconsulting.com.au
Thu Aug 4 19:11:38 CDT 2011

Mark,

The best solution would probably be to store their source data on a SQL
server (or Access DB) as a back end and import into Excel the data they want
to analyse.  That way the integrity of the source is maintained but they can
do all the numerical wizardry on the numbers in Excel.

It sounds chaotic, but there is opportunity in chaos, howver you are going
to need to sell the idea to them.  I would argue that they need you
(otherwise they wouldn't be in this mess now if their original lads did a
decent job) but you are going to have to take some time to fully understand
the system.  How can you fix something that you don't understand fully?
Doing a quick bandaid fix would be a waste of your time and their money as
it will all fall over again in a couple of months.

If they do only want a quick and dirty - I would recommend walking away and
letting them know that is now how you work as a professional.  You either do
the job correctly or not at all.

FWIIW some of the worst spreadsheet I have seen have come out of those
'smart' places like Accenture and PWC etc.  The calculations are clever, but
the integrity of the workbook is rubbish.  They are nearly all unusable with
a few weeks of the users getting hold of them.

Cheers
Darryl.