[AccessD] combo box 101

Asger Blond ab-mi at post3.tele.dk
Tue Aug 9 17:36:46 CDT 2011

I'm definitely with Stuart.
Why is an embedded SQL more "scattered" than an externally saved query?
Having externally saved queries for each an every form/combo/list/report
really seems "scattering" to me.
As Jim pointed out an embedded SQL is compiled exactely like a saved
query (behind the scenes Access creates a compiled querydef for the
embedded SQL). So you have no performance reason for creating an external
saved query.
I agree with Jim that it would be nice if Microsoft had made it possible
for us to choose whether or not the embedded query should be compiled. In
scenarios with volatile data the execution plan selected by Access when
compiling the SQL may not be optimal. In good old days the embedded query
was always recompiled on the fly when opening the form etc., which made
the query plan up to date but also made the opening slower. Now, no
matter if you are using an externally saved query or an embedded SQL you
have to force a refresh of the query plan yourself by editing the query
(making a change, i.e. a new sort, the save the query, then remove the
change, then save again).
It's lamenting that we don't have the choise between a compiled and a not
compiled query any more. But that being so I prefer the embedded SQL -
exactely because it is not so "scattering"...
Asger