[AccessD] combo box 101

William Benson (VBACreations.Com) vbacreations at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 20:04:49 CDT 2011

Well, you've forced my hand. Here is where I am parked.

When my rowsource is populating a listbox (or several on a form) - and when
I give people options for what will drive the sql ... such as sometimes the
entity might come from table X, sometimes table Y ... or sometimes the field
I want out in front is Global_Customer_Name and other times it is
Regional_Customer_Name ... which are different fields in the underlying
query ... I definitely want to control the SQL through VBA.

If I have a subform which is riding a query that is riding ... down the
line, a cross tab ... so that I need to turn off the recordsource for the
subform, check the result of the crosstab through a recordset which copies
its SQL -- then modify the downstream queries ... then turn back on the
sourceobject for the subform ... I prefer to see the required modifications
in VBA.

I think those who are comfortable with a lot of queries in their database --
which there is no easy way to tell where that query is being used, either in
rowsources or in dependent queries ... probably work in very stable object
environments.

I seldom do.

And that's my style, right or wrong. I consider myself very versatile and
increasingly skilled, but granted, I always feel like I am juggling a few
balls which could have mo' better' ve been left on the ground.