[AccessD] Signature Component

Charlotte Foust charlotte.foust at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 18:18:46 CDT 2011

We used signature pads in our applications at my last employers., but we did
not save the signatures are image files because of the liability that would
be incurred.  Instead, we had a table to represent the signatures with a
link to the document signed, with one field for each of the signature
fields that might be present on that document.  The pad included a
programmable api that allowed us to encrypt and decrypt the graphic
representation of the signature for saving or viewing/printing the
documents.  We used a separate table because we were dealing with official
reports and if data were changed on the report, then at least some of the
signatures were invalidated and had to be reentered.  The alternative was to
embed the signature in the document saved as a pdf file or Access snapshot
and then discard the signature value so it was not stored anywhere.

The risks of storing a signature could be very high if anyone were able to
hack in and gain access to the actual signatures.

Charlotte Foust