[AccessD] freelancing job sites (OT Reply)

Mark Simms marksimms at verizon.net
Wed Aug 24 08:47:14 CDT 2011

Well, what happened was that the battle between IT and the user department
had already been going on for a while.
Then, they (users) hired me. Their expectations were to automate some of
their processes that were highly manual and error-prone. I was very
technically astute to the dismay of the IT department who knew that someone
with Excel or Access experience could never improve anything there. I knew
what was needed....it was simply authorization to the SQL Server database's
tables and views. It was as simple as that.
First thing IT did next: they banned MS Access !
Second thing IT did: they gave me a crappy old instance of SQL Server 2000
(they could have given me 2005 !).
It got worse....the test database they gave me was the FULL PRODUCTION
database....some tables over 200 million rows.
It was all linked together...so I had to figure out how to create a usable
subset. Otherwise, every query I ran would take over 1 hour to complete.
Very little documentation existed as well. This just got worse and
worse.....sabatoging, etc.

Trust me...I got in the middle of a battle between 2 vice
presidents....there was no chance of winning that one.
In the end, I still got a great reference from the end user department.