[AccessD] Basic Questions about Access Locking

Brad Marks BradM at blackforestltd.com
Wed Aug 24 14:20:29 CDT 2011

We have an Access 2007 application that pulls data from SQL Server and
creates reports.

Because of the complexity of some of the reports and because of the
complexity of some of the underlying data, we push all of the necessary
data into an Access table.

In one of the later steps, we need to update every record in this table
via a Record Set.

Recently, we ran into a problem when we exceeded the File Sharing Lock
Count.

We have now figured out how to programmatically increase the
"MaxLocksPerFile".

This works fine, but for the long run, I would like to better understand
"Access Locking".

Let's say that I have an Access table with 50,000 rows and I want to
update each row with VBA code using a Record Set.

It is my limited understanding that this will create 50,000 "Locks".

Is there a way to avoid or minimize these locks?

The table in question is NOT "multi-user".  It does NOT reside in a
"back end" that is shared.

Thanks for your help with this question.

Brad