[AccessD] User interface

Rocky Smolin rockysmolin at bchacc.com
Sat Aug 27 17:43:48 CDT 2011

As I write apps for very non-technical users, I have a pretty standard row
of buttons across the bottom which usually go: Add, Find, Undo, Save,
Delete, Print, Preview, Exit.  I also have a group of 4 command buttons for
first, previous, next, and last records and standard OnClick modules for
those four with error traps for Error 2105. I position them generally
between the Save and Preview buttons.

On Dirty I make the forecolor of the Save button red as a visual reminder to
save the record.  I turn it blue in the Save and Current events of the form.
I can check the forecolor of the save button wherever I want and MsgBox a
reminder that the current record has changed, do they want to save it now?

Clicking Add turns that forecolor red as well. Clicking it a second time
turns it back to blue and undoes the new record.

This way they don't have to anything about how Access works, just click the
command buttons.

If there are a lot of fields, I group them into logical groups and back each
group with a box of a different color.  Helps visually to make sense of a
form with a lot of fields.

I use a light green background on a text box which is not editable.

And I use conditional formatting to turn the backcolor of a textbox yellow
when it gets the focus. Makes it easy for the user to see where they are
when the cursor is a vertical blinking hairline.

I have also been taught by users to pay very close attention to the tab
order.  The ones who enter data on a form generally like things in a very
specific order and they use the tab key instead of the mouse to move from
field to field.

My 2 shekels,

Rocky