[AccessD] User Interface

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 10:26:42 CDT 2011

Here here for the "No False Moves" strategy. The most important thing, IMO,
is to make the user feel both powerful and elegant: nothing that should not
happen should be permitted to happen. I know from experience that this is a
PITA to deliver, but it inevitably is correct: foreclose the options that
should not be available in the given context. A silly example, but I hope
meaningful -- unless a given OrderID has been selected, then dis-allow the
printing of an Invoice.

The point here is ultimately, "Make the user feel graceful"; not merely
competent, although that is Step One, but Graceful (that is Step Two). I
have followed this strategy for about 20 years and it invariably has worked
in my favour. In fact, I have learned some things from the users of my apps
which I didn't even consider, because I don't actually use my deliverables,
but just test them and then deploy them; the people who use them use them
frequently, and are quicker than I to detect annoyances. I do listen to
them, and I try to deliver smoother avenues on next deployment.

I'm not claiming any expertise in this area. My rule of thumb is, Shut Up
and Listen. I don't often run the systems I deliver, especially all day
long; so I trust my customer-base to tell me what is a PITA and what is
nice; then I go back to the drawing board and try to design the PITA out.
Sometimes this strategy doesn't work, but most of the time it does. Users
Rule; it's not about Referential Integrity or Validation Rules etc., it's
about the user-experience, and about getting from Here to There in the
fewest possible clicks and keystrokes. That's my design goal, anyway. I
don't want the user (God, I hate that word, it reminds me of drug-dealers!)
to have the simplest possible path toward creating a new Customer with its
ancillary tables, or to update an existing Customer and her Locations, and
her Location_Projects.

I want all the background stuff to be invisible to the current Customer.
This should all happen under smoke-and-mirrors, and then once the scaffold
has been laid, everything else should happen automagically