[AccessD] Paint.net

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Thu Dec 1 17:01:28 CST 2011

Paint.Net started as a little home project (in 2004) in learning the .NET Framework around the time that Microsoft was really starting to hype .NET. It eventually evolved into a sort of showcase and proof-of-concept of a decent and strictly .NET application.

The Gimp has a much longer history, beginning in the mid 90's, as an image editor on Unix.

The main difference between the two is that the Gimp has more advanced features and also is cross platform (Windows, Linux, Mac).

Paint.Net isn't quite as feature rich and only runs on Windows (I guess Windows XP and above, if you have .NET installed), but it also has more eye candy and a flashier interface (which can be a bit distracting in my opinion though).

Popularity-wise, I'd have to say that the Gimp has a bigger user base, but thats not saying much since they are both vastly dwarfed by Photoshop.

- Hans