[AccessD] Windows 8

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Sat Dec 3 09:21:24 CST 2011

 It's the memory that's the kicker.  Six years ago, the 2 and 3 GB machines
you are describing would have been considered higher end machines; not the
typical entry level machines that most businesses put in place.

 In fact if you remember when Vista came out, the big stink was that
Microsoft said flat out "buy new hardware" if you wanted to use all the
features (it was more then memory, but memory was a good part of it).  Many
at that time asked if Vista was even worth the upgrade price considering you
could not use most of the new features if you didn't get new hardware.

 Win 7 is a far better OS then Vista and is what Vista should have been, but
it's still something I would not consider running on anything less then 2GB.

 I have clients that have fallen behind on five year replacement cycles and
have systems running from .5 GB to 1.5GB.   Even with XP, that's a stretch.
And yes I know memory is cheap, but in many cases the MB is maxed out and
upgrading is not possible.  Replacing the station as a whole is the best
approach, but they've held off.

 Thankfully most of them are caught up now, but I still have a few
stragglers.

Jim.